Saturday 9 April 2016

How do you get to heaven? Part 4: A Letter to My Old Best Friend

What follows is a letter I actually wrote to my friend the other week, but I wanted to share it because I could write something like it to so many of my friends. (I explain about it being open in the letter cos I wanted to check they were OK with me posting it publicly, obviously with them anonymous. And they were indeed happy with it.)
Dear Friend,

We’ve been mates for a long time – it’s a while now since we were climbing over bus seats on long school trips. Well, to be fair it was mainly you climbing over the seats, I probably had my seat belt on. But still, even though we don’t see each other that much these days, I really do care about you.

And the day you told me that you thought you believed in God was one of the happiest days of all seven years of school; and it was good to see you today, but it was also gutting.

You said that you just don’t think about God much these days, and that you know you could never be someone who’s really committed to it. (‘It’, not Him.) You said you could never move it from your rationality into really believing it, really wanting to do something about it. So you’re happy to wait, and not bother about it – maybe something bad will happen, maybe you’ll just get old, or maybe God will speak to you in a dream or something – but until then you’re happy as you are. And I really love you and so that’s gutting for me to hear.

I wanted to make this an open letter because, as we said tonight, it’s not just you – tonnes of people I love are the same. People who don’t really believe in a God but they’ve never really thought about it for just the same reasons you’re putting it out of your mind. Or people who grew up going to church and have never really decided that it’s all rubbish but they’re just not that bothered with it anymore. In our particular demographic – young adult, uni-educated, rich, Western – feeling reasonably fulfilled by our lives and accordingly apathetic towards questions of ultimate meaning is pretty normal.

I wanted to write this because seeing that indifference in someone I care about is heartbreaking for me – and I know you already know that, and I feel like you half get why, but let me try and help you empathise properly. Let me try for a second to help you see what it looks like from my eyes.

I am convinced that God is actually real, and that he has revealed himself to us in Jesus Christ, who lived and taught so we could know what God is like, then died a hellish death that he did not deserve so that we could be forgiven for the deep wrongness in all our hearts and our lives, and then genuinely came back from the dead – smashing a hole in death and giving us properly solid grounds for believing that everything he said was true. I’ve become convinced that this means that God is real objectively. Not just true for me, not just a nice idea that helps me make sense of things – actually Real with a capital R so big that the uni/multiverse fits inside it. This means that I believe the following things about you:

I think that you were created by God. Not in a distant, indirect and indifferent Great-Great-Great-Grandpa kind of way, but in an ‘I knew you before you were born’, breathing life into your snotty little baby nostrils kind of way. He created you like an artist creates a masterpiece. He cares about you like a mother cares about her child. You’re not ‘just another human’ to him, he knows your name, and he knows your face, and he knows every single gift he planted in you. It seems insane but I’m convinced it’s actually true.

I think that you – like me, like everyone else – have run away from home. You’ve rejected God. For you it is actually a more explicit conscious thing than for most people, but you’ve done the same thing we all do in and of ourselves. We look at God – the Infinite Creator, the Passionate Father, the All-worthy King – and we say, ‘I’ll make the decisions thanks.’ You’ve said, ‘I get that if you’re there then logically I owe you everything, and I really ought to follow you, but that’s a really profound commitment. I prefer being in charge of my own life. And I don’t really feel like I need you.’ You’ve said that to God. Since the Enlightenment we’ve been very good in the West at teaching ourselves to forget that we are creatures. But the fact is, we are not gods. We are creatures and He is the Creator and in reality any attempt to set ourselves up against him – any stance towards him other than devotion and worship – is madness. It’s suicidal.

I think that Jesus died because of you, and for your sake. Against all probability, against all good sense, in the middle of our silent rebellion, in the face of our quiet hatred, this Creator came as a man and let us beat him, and spit at him, and kill him, in order to make a way for us to come back to him. It’s insane but he has loved us to death, even before we’ve done anything other than reject and ignore him. And right now, somehow, you are able to look – through the smoked glass of uncertainty and a bit of apathy – at the Son of God himself, nailed to a piece of wood and bleeding to death, crying out ‘Father, forgive them’; and decide that you’re not particularly interested in it. Let me be clear, here, I actually believe that if there had been no other human on earth to die for, Jesus would have died purely to offer you redemption, he cares about you that much, and right now you are shrugging and walking away.

I think that you, as a human being, created and loved by God, have the capacity to share in Jesus’ resurrection. He actually came back from the dead and said you can come with him and I mean that in two ways:

First, I mean right now. I mean this world, this life. God is at work putting the world to rights. Redeeming, restoring, healing brokenness and fighting injustice and putting the pieces of this smashed up world back together into a mosaic that glimmers with eternal beauty. And he’s doing it through real life, unimpressive, flesh and blood people who have trusted Jesus and are being filled with the same Spirit that raised him from the dead. He said he has come to give us “life, and life to the full” and he calls us to be so much more truly human than we even realise is possible right now. He’s inviting you into that. He’s inviting you to make a difference that will genuinely last forever. He’s inviting you to live a life of love – of selfless, sacrificial, servant love – and discover in it a joy and a peace that the world can never give, and the world can never take away.

And then I mean that life overflowing into forever, when God completely recreates and restores heaven and earth and he is inviting you to be part of that perfect creation forever. And I know that’s hard to actually conceive of – because I find it hard myself. But if an arts student can learn anything from serious physics it’s that just because I can’t wrap my head around something doesn’t mean for a second that it’s not utterly real. I’m not going to try and describe it to you, but I can tell you that I’ve only been properly learning to love Jesus for 6ish years, but already my excitement and longing at the thought of seeing him face to face is growing pretty strong. There is nothing truly good about this world that it won’t be, and better than it all he will be with us, close enough to wipe the tears from our eyes.

But right now, instead of accepting that life, that smashed-through-death life, that once-was-lost-but-now-I’m-found life, you’re settling for less – for so much infinitely less.

There’s a bit in the Bible where – as so often – the people have forgotten God and decided they’d be better off without him, and God says,
“My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me, the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.”

CS Lewis put it like this:

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

And so two things scare me right now.

One is that you’re on course to waste your life. You might do amazing things, you might not. But either way, you were created to love God and be part of the eternal work he’s doing restoring this world, and while as it is you might stumble into being part of it for a moment, without him you’ll miss the point entirely. The point for which he knit you together in your mum’s womb. You are brilliant. You are so blatantly bursting with abilities and gifts and you are unique and you are creative and you have the capacity for deep love. Please don’t waste your life.

The second thing that scares me is that right now, as far as I can see, you’re on the wrong side of Jesus’ warnings about eternity. I know it’s uncomfortable, but I’m trying to show you what this is like through my eyes, and this is a big part of why it’s so painful for me – I believe in hell. I don’t know exactly what it means, what it will be like, but Jesus again and again warned people, and talked about darkness and fire, and weeping and gnashing of teeth. As much as I wish I could find a way to explain it away, I’m convinced that whatever he means by that imagery he doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t worry yourself too much about it. I worry about it.

That’s what I believe about your life. Infinite potential. Insanely loved by God. Offered real life, to the full, now and forever. But right now, walking calmly towards eternal death.

And I know you said you’ve ‘tried’ this stuff before, but it’s impossible to ‘try’, really, because what Jesus asks is for you to ‘turn and trust’ like I explained before. And you can’t experiment with turning around completely and throwing yourself on Jesus. I remember someone telling me about going skydiving once – they make you sit on the edge with your feet dangling out, and you’re only allowed one buttock in the plane, and then they count down and say ‘jump’, and you just have to jump. You can’t half jump out of a plane. You can’t half follow Jesus. And you know that, I think.

But here’s the thing, that doesn’t mean you need to make a blind leap of faith. That means you need to put every effort in to actually work out for certain whether you trust the parachute. (Please forgive me for the fact that a parachute is a really rubbish metaphor for the all-consuming richness and brilliance of Jesus…) So this is me half daring and half begging you: think about it again, look at it again. Read Luke’s gospel and ask yourself, ‘What if this were true?’ Investigate the evidence, hear out the arguments on both sides. Get serious about this. Don’t you dare spend your life with one buttock in the plane. Use your brain, engage your heart, think through what it would look like in practice. I’m always keen to talk – so so keen – and I’m always up for pointing you in the direction of any resources you need on whatever topic. I would cut my arm off if it would help.

But it wouldn’t. Cos it’s up to you.

Love,


Mike

13 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, just wanted to ask you something.
    I've believed in God all my life and have done my best to follow the Church's teachings so far as I could (there are parts of teaching that I have not been able to square with my conscience and have assumed that God will understand that I can't do or believe something I believe to be morally wrong- while of course God is infallible, I don't believe that any human can be, which includes Church leaders). I pray almost every day and think about God in my day-to-day life, but I don't have what many Christians would call a loving relationship with God, and I don't know if that's just because I'm using the word 'love' in a particular way which is different.
    When I think of love, I think of the people in my life who I'm close to- my parents, siblings, friends- and I don't have the feeling for God that I have for them. I'm in awe of God, and deeply grateful to God for the mercy I've been shown and for Christ's sacrifice, but while I know that God loves me, I don't love God in the way that I think of love. I have never had the kind of contact with God I've had with my parents, siblings, friends. I equate love with hugs, long conversations (where the other person talks back and you can hear them) and caring for the other person's welfare. When I hear some Christians say they have a loving relationship with God, I wonder what it is they're doing differently, or if they simply use the word 'love' differently. When I hear them say that trying to be a good Christian is for nothing if I don't love God, it wounds me- I don't think I can, and it's not for lack of trying. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for sharing this, I think in lots of ways I empathise with you - for me it's more like sometimes it feels more like I know what people mean when they talk about a 'relationship with God' and other times my emotions don't feel anywhere near in line with that. I realise that's not the same but still. The first thing I should say is that I'm really not the best person to talk to about this - I'd recommend chatting and praying it through over time with someone you trust from church, because there's no chance of God using a comment like this one in the same deep way he can use a relationship of openness and prayer! But since you have asked me, for now I'll share two quick thoughts.

      First thought is just that 'love' isn't primarily a feeling, although it does include feelings - I think primarily, as Newton Faulkner says, 'love is a verb, love is a doing word'. I read something recently which pointed out that when Jesus was dying he doesn't seem to have been feeling warm, affectionate feelings towards us, but he stayed - he died willingly and in doing so was loving us in the most profound way imaginable. That might be a distractingly rich example, but the point is that I think in the bible more generally love is primarily about action. Jesus tells us to love God with all our heart and mind and soul and strength - and I think basically at least three of those four are things that aren't 'feelings' really. So in one sense what I'd say is, keep looking at the bible and asking God, 'How do you want to express my love for you in actions?' and looking for what it says, and then being obedient and loving God with all your strength! Someone wise said once that if you want to get to know someone, it's much better to go fishing with them than to stalk them. Doing things together builds relationships. So yeah, I'm encouraging you to do things with God and pray that in time he'll bless you with feelings as well.

      Secondly though, I think you have a really important point about the two-way-ness of the relationship. I agree that it is different with God to parents or friends, in that when you see another person it's obvious that that sense experience is them, whereas the ways in which God interacts with our senses tend to be much more universal and so harder to identify - every good and beautiful thing in the created world and in other people is actually a gift of God, so in a way he's just as tangible as they are, but in another way of course, he's not. But in terms of conversation, I think you raise an interesting point. I'd really encourage you to read Tim Keller's book called, 'Prayer' - because it's really good and much deeper than what I'm about to say. But I think that God does speak to us, and primarily he speaks to us through the Bible. He has started the conversation, and there's so much there to talk about, and I think that if we come to it trusting God to speak to us, the Spirit can also really bring out particular things from it for our particular circumstances - sometimes, but not always. It strikes me that potentially there is a link between what you say about feeling that there are parts of teaching that you're not OK with, and this issue - I think definitely fair enough to not necessarily agree with your church leaders on everything, but if there are things where you think the bible as a whole seems to say something you disagree with, that I think poses more problems. Firstly because I think loving God with our minds partly involves seeking to understand the Bible and trusting it, and being ready to question the assumptions that we have inherited from society, or even just our fallen nature. But secondly because I think that it's hard to have a conversation with God if his way of speaking is primarily through his Word and we don't trust it to be his Word. That can really hold us back from listening to him and responding to him wholeheartedly.

      Delete

    2. But I don't really know you at all, and I don't know that much about all of this stuff! So those are just things to mull over, and like I say, to talk over with a person you trust who you think seems to have more a love for God than you feel you do, and to pray about :) And I really would recommend that book :)
      Thanks!
      Mike

      Delete
  2. I agree that religion is used to oppress and suppress people, but is it necessarily the source of all evil? Religious people nowadays are coming round to the idea that we should be accepting and forgiving towards gay people, women, and people from non-western ethnic backgrounds. It's more about multiculturalism and multi-faith groups getting along, working together, living together and showing compassion together and towards one another. It's not as racist or imperialist as it used to be. Although I agree huge swathes of Christianity and Islam are about converting or evangelising people, which is clearly a modern form of colonialism in an attempt to get people in third world countries to bow down to the whims or white popes, archbishops, monarchs and governments. Most dangerously it erodes native and indigenous cultures as their religions, cultures, beliefs, folklore and practices are replaced with westernised ones. However, there is truth in that fact that the modern day Church celebrates and encourages diversity, and rarely in recent times does it call for the persecution of any groups in society, or improperly influence aspects of the legislative process. At least in Britain. Sadly the same cannot be said of the US or many African nations, which are similar in their excessive Christian extremism and radicalisation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike -
    I'm a big fan of the blog, but I just wanted to point out that you speak with very unforgiving authority in most of your posts. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I am just curious as to why you think you can speak on behalf of God, the Bible and all Christians. You are clearly well read, well educated and very informed on the issues you write about, but you are not a clergyman or otherwise engaged in religious life, or in possession of any theological qualifications to my knowledge. This isn't meant to sound like an attack - as I said, I love the blog - but since this is one part of a four part blog literally telling people how to get to heaven, which is something of a massive claim, I'd be interested if you could address this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for this comment, I really appreciate you bringing this up because I think it's way too easy for me to not think about it properly.
      Basically, my approach has always been that if I wait until I'm absolutely certain about everything, and I'm indisputably qualified to talk about it, then I'll never be able to talk about anything - and I think this stuff is way too important and beautiful for me to do that. This does mean that there are moments or phrases from old blogs that I wince at a bit now, and it means that sometimes a friend might point out something in a blog they're not sure about and I might decide that they're actually right and change it! So I don't want to claim at all that in every detail I'm going to get everything right - I'm just giving it my best shot.

      But in stuff this like this series, I guess my approach is that I've got enough of a grasp of what's going on in the Bible to pass that on, and at the moment be pretty confident that the core of it is right. There are lots of people who are wiser and older and more learned than me that read the blog, and if they started telling me that I was going way off I'd really want to listen to them, I don't want to be a kind of theological lone-ranger. But yes, I hope that makes some sense.

      Can I ask, when you say "unforgiving authority", that's a really interesting phrase, I was wondering what you meant by 'unforgiving'? Because there's lots of meanings of that word that I would really want to avoid! So yeah, let me know maybe.

      Thanks again!
      Mike

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reading the blog and for commenting. I really do believe this stuff, and I don't believe any of it because I want to control people. I think, judging as best I can from your tone, that you don't particularly want me to try and respond to each one of the accusations you make; and to be honest I'm wondering, is there any amount of argument or evidence I could give you that this is true that would change your mind? Or are you certain that it's false for reasons that go deeper than that?
    In which case all I can helpfully do is ask you to investigate the philosophical underpinnings of your own worldview - your epistemology especially - and subject them to the same kind of analysis that you have done with Christianity - because I think that kind of historical scepticism is really valuable and important, and I think as a Christian it's really important for me to see if there are ways in which we might have gone off track or ignored things for those kinds of reasons, so I think it's important for everyone to subject their worldview to that kind of scrutiny.
    If you do do that, and then you want to talk more about anything, or ask me anything in particular that you really would like an answer to - please do drop me an email, I'd love to hear from you. (mikehood1994@gmail.com)

    Thanks!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart tells me all happy, consentual love is real, valid and true.
    My Bible tells me non-heteronormative love is sin.

    What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for this comment - obviously this is a much deeper, bigger, more complicated thing than an anonymous comment conversation can hope to significantly help with! Perhaps the only suggestion I would want to put to you in this context is maybe to go back to the bible and look at what it says about love - because the first thing that comes into my mind as I read your comment is how much broader I think the Bible's conception of love is than the one you're using here, if that makes sense? I would look through the gospels and the letters and ask whether you think our culture has got a narrowed conception of what kind of 'love' can give meaning and richness and intimacy to our lives compared to the conception that Jesus had. I think then you can come back from there to the huge specific issue that you're raising and look at it again from that perspective, I would recommend doing that with people who love you and who also love Jesus.
      Like I say, I can't be of much use in a comment like this, so that's just one suggestion!
      Love,
      Mike

      Delete
  6. Hi Mike, just to say, your writing has a lot of je ne sais quoi. The odd phrase is a little uncool (although I've always had a perverse penchant for the evangelicals' nonchalant acceptance of the uncool in light of the broader truth of God's existence.) I was just wondering if you think salvation is possible for those outside Protestant Christianity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I appreciate your 'perverse penchant' for people like me :p
      I do yeah. I think that Protestantism has got a stronger hold on a lot of really important truths than other church traditions - that's why I am a Protestant - but I believe that if someone holds to the 'things of first importance' ( https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+cor+15%3A1-11&version=NRSVA ) then it comes down to their heart and life before God, and I am sure there have been many non-Protestants and are many today who truly have been united to Jesus (see part 3 of this series...) :)
      And no doubt many people in Protestant churches who actually aren't.
      I hope that's helpful!

      Delete
  7. Hey Mike, I just want to say thank you for your blog and this post in particular. Your love of God and your understanding of Christian theology has really contributed to my becoming a Christian - in particular, you show the rare ability to communicate the sheer joy of being united with Jesus - the fact that there is no better way. I am an unlikely Christian, slouching towards Bethlehem, and feeling on fire with the Lord in the process, and it's partly thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you so, so much for this comment - I'm so thankful to God that he has let the blog be a little part of him introducing himself to you! Honestly, this is the most exciting, happy-making comment I've ever received. I hope and pray all the absolute best for you as you keep living with Jesus!

      Delete